April 26, 2007

Paneer masala







This is one of my favourites among North Indian cuisine, and a usual order at any Indian restaurant. Paneer is a protein rich food, and can be made at home,
but most of the time I end up buying it from the Indian store although not home made but equally good.

here goes my recipe

what u need:

paneer : 250 gms
onion : 1 chopped grind into paste
ginger: 1 teaspoon
garlic : 1 teaspoon
tomato: 1 chopped or tomato paste: 1 tablespoon
garam masala: 1 teaspoon
turmeric: 1/2 teaspoon
chilly pwd:1/2 teaspoon
jeera : 1 teaspoon


half and half: 1/3rd cup or cream also can be used.
salt and oil as needed
cilantro to garnish

In a pan add oil u can use butter also , if needed
add jeera after 1-2 mins add the onion paste if u r using red onions the dish will a little to the sweeter side, once the onion is almost translucent add the ginger garlic in paste form.
cook f0r 5-7 mind till oil separates out.

To this add turmeric , chilly pwd, garam masala and mix well.


Again a little trick if u need the fiery red color and not the spice,


add tomato paste instead of raw tomato, it gives a good red color without increasing the heat of the dish,


or else u can just puree tomatoes in a blender and add to the pan.
cook for 5-7 mins till the tomatoes are totally cooked, meanwhile make a flat griddle hot add some oil again u can use butter if needed, cut paneer into cubes size and shallow fry them on the griddle, turning each side every few mins.




add the paneer cubes in to the pan and mix carefully.

cook for another 2-3 mins till the spices blend into the paneer cubes.
Add the half and half , usually I would just use whole milk also .
cover the dish and let it simmer few mins then put it off.
Garnish with cilantro leaves and serve hot with rotis or naan

4 comments:

TBC said...

Hi,
I landed here while blog-hopping.You have a nice blog with some good recipes.
Paneer masala looks very good.

Anonymous said...

You have a nice site up there and some of my favorite recipes like avial. Liked the story who have written.
I am new to blogging and also a food enthusiast. Do visit my site, will love to hear your critiues.
Archana
www.archanaskitchen.com

Tan said...

Guess what, my all-time favorite movie is also 'Janey Bhi Do Yaaron'. In fact I am going to try my hand at your recipe which I found searching Google and then will come back and post a comment. Thanks for the recipe.

Tan said...

It works fantastic! The next time I would try avoiding jeera and adding a little capsicum. Thanks for the free recipe by the way.

Cinnamon rolls

  This year I decided to go on a baking mode with some new cookie recipes and some older tried and tested goodies, Filling up the house with...