May 2, 2007

Fish curry with mango


Our back yard had a lot of mango trees , and each of a different kind, the biggest tree had really sour mangoes and my mom would make fish curry with these mangoes that tasted so good. The tangy sour taste of the mango in the fish curry yum!!

Fish curry is a must in any mallu home, I too grew up with the taste of fish and koodam pulli.
Almost every other day, fish either as a curry or fried was usual and it complemented any side dish too, sometimes just fish curry ,rice and curd is all u need, reminds me so much of home uummhh! absolute comfort food.

We never had a fish monger,but had a fish market where people would come rushing in after work every Tuesday or Friday.
My neighbour was also from Kerala , and an excellent cook, she used to make the fish curry in a typical Thiruvalla style that means the curry was dark red in color, and tasted so good.
growing up I never bothered to learn the recipe ,then after getting married to my surprise , my mom in law too made fish curry same Thiruvalla style as my in laws belong to the same place. So this time I didn't let the opportunity pass decided to learn from my mom in law. I always thought the red color was by adding a lot of chilli pwd, but that just makes the curry really hot,
better use paprika gives the desired color without adding on the heat of the dish.

This recipe is combination of my mom and mom in law's recipe,was made with frozen fish.

now to the recipe,
what u need:

fish -cut in cube size
raw mango-cube size without the skin
ginger- 1 inch chopped
garlic-5-6 chopped
onion - 1 chopped
curry leaves-5-6
turmeric-1/2 teaspoon
chilli pwd (paprika)- 2-3 teaspoon full
methi pwd (uluva podi)-1/2 teaspoon
salt to taste
oil- 1 tablespoon
kodumpoli- 2-3 (keep in water for 5- 10 mins)
mustard seeds- 1/2 teaspoon

Place wide set pan on gas/stove, add oil and mustard seeds, once they start to pop
add the chopped onions, ginger, garlic, curry leaves, let it saute for 5 mins.
then add turmeric, paprika , methi pwd and mix.
The trick to get the dark red color fish curry is to add paprika instead of chilli pwd,
because paprika adds a lot of color to the dish and not the spice unlike chilli pwd,
or if want a bit spicier add a teaspoon of chilli pwd too.
add the puli along with the water add 1/2 cup water also let it boil ,
then add salt and the fish and the mango.
Simmer on low heat for 15-20 mins, be careful while mixing or else the fish starts to crumble
check salt and let cool . Fish curry usually tastes a lot better the next day when all the flavours have blended in.
Serve with rice or kappa. Enjoy!

10 comments:

DEEPA said...

i do not eat fish ...but looks colorful ....

Meera's Blog said...

now thats my kind of food:)i love that curry.

SJ said...

I love this fish curry. Thanks for the tip abput the paprika. I often drool over the kerala style fish curry, but never make it bacause my spice level is quite low. I'll try it with the parika sometime.

Dawn said...

Do u have any recipes for a potato and cauliflower dish? I know it's indian cos my friend made it once but since i moved.. i lost contact with him. Thanks!!

Mohsen said...

Good luck...

Anonymous said...

bookmarked!!, I really like your web site!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I do think this is an excellent site. I stumbledupon it ;) I am
going to come back yet again since i have book marked
it. Money and freedom is the best way to
change, may you be rich and continue to help other people.

Anonymous said...

Hello! I've been reading your web site for a long time now and
finally got the bravery to go ahead and give you a shout out
from Porter Tx! Just wanted to tell you keep up the excellent job!

Anonymous said...

You ought to be a part of a contest for one of the finest blogs on the net.
I most certainly will recommend this website!

Anonymous said...

I am actually thankful to the owner of this website who has shared
this impressive post at here.

Cinnamon rolls

  This year I decided to go on a baking mode with some new cookie recipes and some older tried and tested goodies, Filling up the house with...